View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris, and sorry to everyone for a repedative blog, seems I added it three times....newbie to this.

I have uploaded a few photos of the large navaja and will add more of my navajas when time permits. I have also added an image of a framed collection I put together and various images I have on file of my Toledo navaja in the frame.

In the framed collection, all navaja are approx 16 inches long.

The top navaja is very unusual and I have no idea as to date or region, though I am thinking continental, first quater on the 20th century, it is a very well crafted knife, ring pull to top, razor sharp high carbon blade, aluminium handle with hard wood inserts and brass bolsters

The second in made by Alvero Garcia of Albecete, another razor sharp blade with floral decoratons to both sides and a Spanish inscription I have not yet even thought to deciper, though I will shortly and keep those who are interested updated. It is a very wide blade and has a large number of rachet teeth too, I wouldn't consider this blade loose at all but it does flick nicely in the hand.

The third is not Navaja but a mexican knife of the old wild west, marked C Camaren, just framed up for interest sake.

The Fourth has not locking mechanism at all, personally I think this may have been an apprentice peice???? crafted without the locking part of the blade in error, hence no locking assembly on the top of it. It has an extremely thick spine, heavy pointy and razor sharp blade (nearly took my whole finger off, hence it is framed now!!) , marked C.A and a strange little symbol above this. It sports the most beautiful high polish horn handle.

The fifth is a mid-late 20th century navaja with imitation mother of pearl grips.

With regards to the 6th one, a Toledo navaja, I beleive it to be late 1800s very early 1900s, though I one chap here in Australia said it to be a very modern tourist item...anyone have any take on these opinions. It has outstanding deep etched or chisled releif all over the blade and handle, it of an all metal construction and has Spanish inscriptions on both sides "Do not draw me without reason or store me without honour" and on the reverse side it says "Never a dent shall I suffer as Toledo was my Cradle" It has been gilded, blued and highly polished all over as seen in the images.

I would love to hear any input about any of these knives.

regards

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote