Thread: Battered kris
View Single Post
Old 15th October 2007, 01:00 PM   #7
kai

Hello Emanuel,

Could you show a pic of the end of the hilt?

Quote:
Do you have any indication as to which tribe this kris might be?
The scabbard is typical for Maguindanao. The blade may be Sulu (not sure since the pics are taken at an angle). Obviously, many Sulu blades got traded and ended up in Maguindanao fittings.

Quote:
Kai, which type of pommel do you think would be more appropriate, a cocatua or a horse hoof.
I think that depends on you: Since any kris is an unique piece, the owner decides what he likes best (and can afford or is allowed to wear by tradition).

I'd guess that this kris used to have a kakatua pommel (bent asang-asang extensions, size and form of grip) and that also would be probably the most often seen hilt type. There are several kakatua varieties associated with Maguindanao pieces though.

The hilt Henk showed is also very commonly seen with Maguindanao kris; it's also the most easiest to reproduce. You can probably live with just carving the end piece and fitting it to the present grip. The braided/woven jute seems to be beyond rescue. (Make sure to store the remains for future reference though!)

Since trade was extensive you could choose just about any Moro kris hilt type and go with it but I'd probably avoid more localized types like typical Sulu horse hoof pommel, etc.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote