View Single Post
Old 11th June 2007, 01:55 PM   #76
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Well then... I guess, I'm the ultimate fool to display all my pieces.
Shahrial, i sincerely hope that you do not think that anyone on this forum considers you a "fool" for choosing to publicly display your collection. For me personally nothing could be further from the truth and i believe your contribution to this forum and the keris community at large is greatly appreciated. When i say "daring and brave" i mean just that and for me these are attributes to be proud of. Foolish never crossed my mind.
Now, if you choose to consider yourself an "exhibitionist" that's just fine. Calling another person an exibitionist is a different story as the way this word is used in the English language is most often with a derogatory tone. Yes, technically it does mean "one who exhibits", but usually it implies "one who shows off too much".
As for "just keeping quiet and enjoy the show", please keep in mind that it is the practice of those that choose not to show their collections that has been called into question in this thread, not the other way around. We have been asked to explain and defend our position and somewhat put on the spot in the doing. This all began because Alan decided, against his better judgement, to show a profile of one of his personal blades for comparision sake, which lead to the question of why he wouldn't show us more. If anything this discussion has only succeded in discouraging people like Alan and myself from showing anything of our collections (even profiles or sheathed keris) because people will alway question why we won't show more and this same discussion will open up all over again with new people on the forum who missed it the first time.
To recap: No one considers anybody else here to be a "fool". Everyone one has different standards for their own person collections and we must respect all of them. No one considers their own personal standards to be superior to anybody else"s. Everyone is very appreciative of those that do choose to share their collections with us on the internet. Now let's move on. For me gentleman, this discussion is over and i strongly suggest that we continue with the original intent of this thread or end it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote