View Single Post
Old 26th May 2007, 08:04 PM   #16
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangeran Datu
As for the word 'kalawija':
It comes from the word kala=time and wija=seed i.e. time for planting seed.
There is another word:'PALAwija', from phala=fruit. In some regions, one or the other is used, while in others, they are used interchangeably.
Palawija is the term used for plants grown on the earth embankments/partitions of paddy fields/fishponds.
At rice-seedling planting time, whatever other 'fruit'-bearing seeds available are planted both to secure the earthenworks and to maximise yield.
Both words are derived from an agrarian society predisposed to symbolism, usually in its simplest form i.e. relating to their everyday life/universe.
Agrarian and everyday life, universe. I agree Pangeran. If you look at all the ricikan (details) in kerises, all come from those terms. You look at the ganja, for instance. The name of the shape of ganja, come from animal's name: "sirah cecak" (cecak's or small reptil's head), "buntut urang" (shrimp's tail). The form of mostly Majapahit ganja is "sebit ron tal" litterally, it means that the ganja is "curving like the tal's leaf".

Greneng? Actually there are two Caraka characters of "dha" at the greneng. Sekar kacang, or kembang kacang, or some people say tlale gajah (elephant's snail?). The luks or curves' classification, also based on "animal's move". Luk with style "sarpa lumaku" (walking snake), or "sarpa nglangi" (swimming snake) et cetera...

Every details on keris blade, or keris sheath and ornaments, have their specific meanings. Even the style, has its specific meaning too. Style of hilt "taman ngabean" is strong looking: it's good for strong and tall person. Hilt of "taman banaran" which is loose-looking, is good for small or less-tall person, soft person... And so on.

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote