View Single Post
Old 25th May 2007, 10:24 AM   #7
ganjawulung

Default T a y u m a n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
...in a picture in another thread I saw a completre sarong made by Tayuman: confused: When I ask for tayuman in Yogya, people told me that the tree of tayuman is very little and so is possible to make hit but not sarong. Could i have some right news about tayuman?
Tayuman, or Cassia laevigata wild, is a kind of bush tree. Of course, rarely tayuman tree has a big trunk possible to make keris sheath. In the other thread, I just comment that Raden Usman keris' sheath is "probably" made of tayuman wood. That's probably.

So, tayuman is mostly used as hilts. Old tayuman hilts, are expensive in Yogyakarta and Surakarta. Also expensive, "kemuning werut" (red and striped kemuning). One Yogyakartanese tayuman hilt could cost until Rp 300-500.000 or around 50 euro per piece. Compare to normal hilt, of around 75.000 rupiahs.

Usually, old tayuman hilts are "submerged" if you put them on water. That's the way the Javanese choose, whether the hilts are tayuman or not. Would you try, in Yogyakarta next July Marco?

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote