View Single Post
Old 26th February 2005, 04:27 AM   #15
BSMStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
Hi, there are lots of singap out there with initials of various Javanese kings embroidered/sequinned on them, not the least HB X. I have at seen at one particular shop half a dozen of such singaps, so don't place too high hopes on them. And on Javanese kerises, especially the pendok, one often sees the royal insignia engraved at the back, and I'm quite certain the kerises had nothing to do with the kraton.
Hi BluErf,

I did not have any high hopes (in fact, I was suspicious of Keris when I saw the singap)... I was just curious if this was a "common" practice (maybe by power of association to have such an honored person/place embroidered on the singap) since I have not seen one like it before. The quality of the embroidery wasn't good enough to impress me that it would have belonged to a Sultan. The mendok doesn't meet the quality one would expect to see on a Royal Keris. The Keris was not advertised to be a Royal Keris. So I did not have any reason to expect an association to such a high person and place.... but I had to ask.

I'm content that this Keris found me.

Thank you BluErf for you experience and help.

BSMStar
BSMStar is offline   Reply With Quote