View Single Post
Old 20th April 2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Pangeran Datu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Woohoo concensus!!
Looks like I learned something after two years on this forum

I've seen a number of new keris on ebay with high numbers of luks, often advertised as being from kalimantan/Borneo. Are numerous luks desirable these days or is it still just for tourist appeal? Odd for a ground blade to come with an ivory (or bone?) dress.

There are some light artefacts on the pictures, it would indeed be good to see close-ups.

Emanuel
G'day mateys,

- I agree with the previous comments.

- There are those who believe that in custom-made kerises, the number of Eluks reflect the quality/status of the wearer/owner. The higher the number of Eluks, the better.
Having said this, I hasten to add that kerises with more than 13 Eluks are relatively uncommon.
When examining kerises with more than 13 Eluks, I tend to proceed with caution.
When examining kerises with MORE than 29 Eluks, I proceed with EXTRA caution.

- These days, it isn't hard to find total dresses for kerises made of bone, ivory or indeed fossil molar (the raw materials being all legally traded).

- Have you tested for bone/ivory using the 'hot needle' test?

- 'Where there is a perceived market, there WILL be a product'.

- Please correct me if I'm wrong but, as I understand it, keris-making, especially in places like Brunei, enjoy the patronage of the state. In fact, I believe that the patronage may be of such a level that what is unsold commercially is bought by the state, ensuring a steady livelihood for the keris-makers (and hence the preservation of the art). Thus there is incentive for these keris-makers to be creative and enterprising.

- As for the Dapur, it resembles the straight keris dapurs: Dungkul, Regol or Sepang (hard to tell from the picture).

Cheers.
Pangeran Datu is offline   Reply With Quote