View Single Post
Old 6th February 2007, 01:51 PM   #5
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Please, no Dremel!

Ask a dentist about the most stable glue; perfect color matching should also be possible for a dentist although this color will come up more rarely...

If this is a wootz blade, it could use some polishing & etching from someone competent - others may ruin it. I'd leave the nick alone though. BTW, it's possible that a wootz blade has a welded-on tang.

Does the scabbard fit well with this blade?

Regards,
Kai
Trust me, I know how to use one carefully; I've used one extensively in modelling and the scratch-building of flintlock pistols. I would not use it on the blade, beyond perhap a small, brass-bristled wire wheel to remove any active rust in the deeper pitting. No, the dremel is only for carefully removing the cement holding the blade in place, and to drill a pilot hole for a reinforcing pin at the site of the break.

Polishing the blade is also something I can do; it may not be perfect, but I won't ruin it, either, The trick is to do it by hand, use only superfine and above wet sandpaper with a good gun oil that acts as a rust solvent and inhibitor, and remeber to take it slowly.

Thanks for the info on the tang, at least it makes me hopeful that whoever did it knew what they were doing.

The blade fits the scabbard like a glove; the snakeskin is a later addition, but the scabbard definitely belongs with the blade.
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote