View Single Post
Old 18th February 2005, 03:54 PM   #7
wolviex

Arrow

Small-swords of this kind were very popular through the whole 19th century in almost every European country. This one has one very characteristic feature - this are quillons. Most of the smallsword of this time are with one short quillon (sometimes straight, sometiems curved) while the second one is just a knuckle-guard. In your piece we've got two shord quillons and a knuckle-guard. I have seen only two small-sword with similarity to yours. First one was from France, second from Belgium - both from the end of the 19th century. It doesn't seems to me that one of yours is older. There is some dubitancy about your small-sword - but if you could post more photos. What is the blade, I can barely see there is some ornament! Of what material the handle is made - bronze?, brass?, cooper? - on this photos it looks like it could be cast from one of these alloys. This coat-of-arms looks made rather carelessly - it's not good, while it was in whole Europe (or almost whole Europe) important emblem for noblemen. Where from do you know it's English sword ? - I know - too many questions, but we all here need as much concrete informations as it's only possible, to be able comment anything.

Best regards
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote