View Single Post
Old 28th December 2006, 05:33 PM   #9
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Hi,

I first saw the side plates with thin, bent metal, and it looked like it was trying to be something it was not. That was what set me off.

Looks like some band is missing around the end of the pommel, but that is incidental. The blade does look good and well-made.

Hi Bill,
I do agree that the 'plates' appear thin. Looking at the pic you posted the rivet holding the plate looks like it was peened over again at some time in its life....the rivet has 'spread' to one side and the 'patina' of the plate (in close proximity) is 'bright' suggesting the 'hammer' blow occured more recently. Perhaps this was because it had loosened ? The plate also doesn't follow the contour of the blade (at certain areas) bearing in mind they are a softer metal than the steel I would expect them to match. This is because the plates would be 'roughly edged', then rivetted to the blade and then filed/worked to match the blade edges. In effect the blade would act as a template for the side plates. There is,also, the crease in the plate.
From this circumstantial evidence, I 'postulate' that perhaps the plate became loose, was damaged , then 'tidied up' and then re-rivetted with the original rivet. I also suspect, like you, that there was a band at the pommel end , perhaps this has seen some 'active duty'.......surely a ceremonial piece would have not have been used in such a way that it could be damaged? Unless, some idiot...later in the swords life.....decided to 'abuse' it.

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune.....All the best

David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote