View Single Post
Old 21st December 2006, 02:05 AM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent observations Jens! I am inclined to opt for the Nepalese possibility as well, over the Tibetan. Tibetan swords typically exhibit the distinctive hairpin pattern welded blades which also preserve the ancient Sui and Tang profiles which later were carried into the familiar Japanese blades. These are also characteristic on Bhutanese swords.
In Nepal, however, there was considerable diffusion of weaponry from India and other regions to the south. It would seem that numerous weapons found in these regions reflect atavistic influence from iconographic sources that may include forms from ancient Greek weapons.

While the interesting pommel does reflect the Tibetan 'dorje' element, as I noted there are certain features in the structure of the hilt that recall distinct Indian influence. Most notable perhaps, would be the unusual 'skirted' form of the lower hilt, which appears in variation on numerous Mughal jade dagger hilts, and mostly of latter 17th thru the 18th c. These are of course mostly from N.India (though Mysore examples are noted) and are shown in a number of examples in Pant (p.205; #607, #609, #611).

It seems entirely plausible that in Nepal, a ceremonial sword might carry influences from both Tibet, to the north, with Tantric elements as well as the aesthetics of Mughal weapons to the south. We know that the kukri was well established in India, though thought of as indiginous to Nepal, and that there are tulwar hilted koras as well as kukris.

I found some interesting notes concerning swords in Bhutan, which may have some bearing on the use of ceremonial swords in Nepal in some degree as well via the influences that seem to diffuse in these regions.
In "Bhutan,Land of the Thunder Dragon" by Burt Kerr Todd (National Geographic, Vol.CII, #6, Dec.1952), the author notes that "...the 'pathang' or ceremonial sword is reserved for wear in or around the dzongs (forts) that dot the countryside. Without the sword, and the appropriate shawl to show his rank, he is not permitted within these centers of Bhutanese central life".

I think these factors may support a Nepalese origin for this sword, as Jens has suggested, as well as his notes on the early iconography in Nepal that depicts this ancient blade form, which is interestingly very similar to the Greek 'phasganon' (Burton, fig.254).

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote