View Single Post
Old 24th October 2006, 11:33 PM   #2
ariel

I am not very sympathetic to the Sikh man: walking on the street, he will make an appearance of an armed person, an entity unheard of in Denmark. I do not think Danes have a duty to accomodate themselves to the religious expressions of a foreighner when these expressions clash severely with their national customs. After all, it is their country; it is the duty of the foreighner to decide whether he wants to settle in a country that bans his religious expressions.
I would not support the right of Shia Muslims to have an Ashura procession in downtown Ann Arbor, with knives, chains, blood and gore; or any kind of animal sacrifice or public human mutilation. People can have any religious beliefs they wish; they just cannot expect to have a right to exercise them openly everywhere. There is a freedom of belief, not freedom of action.
After all, Saudi Arabia does not allow consumption of alcohol even for sacramental purposes or public display of religious symbols, such as crucifix.
Sword collection has nothing to do with it: nobody displays his swords in the open on the Main Street.

Last edited by ariel; 25th October 2006 at 02:03 AM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote