Thread: Arabian Sayf
View Single Post
Old 25th September 2006, 11:17 AM   #25
The Double D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
DD:

It's my understanding that an appraisal is a statement of the current market value of something, usually provided by an expert, mainly for the purpose of selling the item or insuring it.

Certainly not the criteria used when I and other New people to this board have asked the question what gives an item worth when we had no intention of buying, selling or insuring, only learning. The mere asking of the question has brought a heavy hand to bear.

Quote:
We have at least a couple of attorneys on the Forum who can give a legal definition of "appraisal," but basically saying something is outrageously over priced is not an appraisal as I understand the term.

Ian.
I'm sure those same Attorneys with payment of the proper retainer would also argue that a discussion of what features make an item less valuable is part of an appraisal process.

My real point is that your rule about appraisals is too vague. If you used the above paragraph and include the word buying and a sentence about when discssions of value are acceptable it would be clearer.

You might also add some history to the rule. Like why you made this rules. If If understand right there has been some legal action taken against a Forum about the issue of appraisals. Tell people and they will be more understanding.

My apologies to Ariel for hijacking your thread.
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote