View Single Post
Old 7th September 2006, 08:17 AM   #2
Freddy

Thumbs up

Very nice sword ! Good find.

I found in 'African Arms and Armour' by Christopher Spring a description of similar swords. These come from Ethiopia (Northern and Central Highlands). This is what he writes :

"... Swords were usually exceptionally longbladed, especially among the infantry, and designed principally for slashing rather than thrusting, the latter function being performed by the shorter spears carried by both infantry and cavalry. They were almost invariably worn on the right hip, presumably because the large, elaborately decorated shields which were carried on the left arm would otherwise have impeded the draw of such long and unwieldy blades. Three main types of long sword may be distinguished, the first having a slightly curved blade similar in form to the European cavalry sabre. The large hilts of polished rhinoceros horn or wood are of ovoid cross section, flaring out on either side of the grip and embellished with a button of filigree work. Sometimes a Maria Theresia dollar is employed in place of this button. The single edged blades of these weapons are often found to bear the hallmark of an European weaponsmith. However, the sheaths are almost always of local manufacture, and are highly distinctive. Fashioned out of red leather, sometimes embellished with velvet and decorative bands of metal, these sheaths suddenly rise up at the tip into a slender prow capped with a solid metal sphere or medallion of fine filigree work. ..."

I think your sword comes in this category. The other two types he mentions are the 'shotel', a sword shaped like an enormous sickle, and a straight-bladed sword, similar to the 'kaskara'.

I hope this helps
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote