View Single Post
Old 4th February 2005, 07:21 PM   #4
nechesh

A great deal of the keris you see on eBay are newly made. I personally don't consider this a problem if that is what i am looking for, but many of these guys selling these new keris claim they are old. That's a big problem for me on many levels. Even if i would be interested in a newly made keris, i would not be interested in buying it from one of these unscrupulous dealers. Just a matter of ethics for me. Some of these new keris are very nicely made. There is a market for the and people who chose to collect them because buying an old piece of the same quality with whatever rare pamor it has would cost thousands of dollar instead of hundreds. I have one really nice keris in my collection that i bought knowingly as a new piece just because it appealed to my artistic sensibilities.But the dealer was honest with me about it's age. I wouldn't but from any of these eBay deceivers at any price. Perhaps others feel this way which is why those keris you see get no bids.
You might also see other auctions on eBay go unbidded because sometimes the photos are so bad that you just can't get a good gauge of quality or authenticity from them. Sometimes you can take a chance here and make a good deal, but it's always hit or miss.