View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2005, 08:17 PM   #8
Mick

BMStar

The sequence of dress (in regard to metals) goes gold, gold capping, gold plating (originally fire gilding), silver, and copper/brass. Many of the “golden hilts” are actually gilded silver and or gilded copper/brass. This is nothing to be ashamed of as good workmanship is really achieved in all of the metals. Your piece shows good quality workmanship. It is not of the highest quality, but it is damned good. I have seen pure gold pieces which have nowhere near the quality of workmanship as yours. (Seems strange doesn’t it.) People in Bali are still turning out exceptionally fine work as well as some mediocre and the junk brass pieces that are sometimes passed of on eBay as “Golden”.

As far as the other color besides black and white on the blade, I believe that we have resolved (here on the forum) that this is caused by impurities in the wranga used in the etching process.

Henk

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I recommended the use of kerosene wiped into crevaces of the blade with a soft (not hard) toothbrush ro get all pieces of dirt off of the blade in order to start protecting the blade with a clean finish. Obviously no toothpaste is to used in this process. Indeed it would polish the patina off of the blade.

Last edited by Mick; 3rd February 2005 at 09:40 PM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote