View Single Post
Old 31st December 2023, 11:53 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendita65 View Post
Mr. Maisey,
Thank you for your response to my posting. And I think it,s made before WW2.But I can’t prove this.

There was dammar varnish also on the tombak and this I scraped of with my thumbnail. I will do that with the Keris blade as well. As a teacher in furniture restoration the woodwork ain’t a problem. I haven’t found out what kind of wood the gander is made off. It is a very light wood and to my feeling the sapwood part of wood but what species I don’t, have a clue.
Can I ask you what you mean with a foot at a gambar ?
I post some pics of the Javanese Keris. I think underneath the varnish is a nice pamor as you can see in the picture.

Best wishes for 2024 as at your part it already is the new year.

Martin
Happy New Year Martin!

Your second keris I like much more than the other one! When you are used to working with wood it will be an easy project for you to give it a new gandar. Be very careful with the pendok, the material looks very thin to my eyes. It's not the best pendok I've seen of this type but a good one and worth restoration.
The complete keris is a gayaman keris in Jogya style, blade is dapur tilam upih and the pamor is nice, maybe batu lapak, surely worth getting a new stain. Nice keris and I am curious to see it restored.
This will be a very nice keris for every collection IMVHO.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote