View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2006, 11:27 PM   #21
katana

Here is a link to a page with a history of Gatka.

http://www.warriorsaints.com/article...oryOfGatka.asp

The point of the video links was to show how 'unified' both sword and swordsman were whilst performing slashes, parries etc. To me the use of the 'tight' hilt and large disk pommel is attributable to the style of its use...and not physical reasons such as small hands.....
To me, the 'arcing' style of sword technique requires less movement of the wrist. A lot of the movement, with slashing cuts, seems to eminate from the torso. As it twists, a coordinated surge of power then involves the shoulders, the elbow and then the sword (in that sequence). I suppose another way of explaining it, is this.... If you punch a target in front of you without additional body movement the punch is weak. But a coordinated punch were the body twists in the the same direction (and side) as the punch, intensifies the power considerably.
But, I felt there is a problem with the 'arcing' style, because of the power of the cuts, centrifical forces would cause the sword to, most likely, slip from your grasp. If that was the case I would be force to fit a large pommel....to stop me 'losing' my sword.....the trouble is.... a large pommel would be too heavy and upset the point of balance, making it bottom heavy.... not a good idea with a 'slashing' type sword....unless I make it light and large..........a disc pommel.......This is what I was thinking when I first saw these videos and thats why I posted the thread.
I have e-mail a number of Gatka practioners today and asked them how the Tulwar is held, as yet I have not received any replies, hopefully I will.

Tim I agree with your comment utterly
'the fact that these clips show their hands are very familiar with the sword says enough.'
katana is offline   Reply With Quote