View Single Post
Old 28th December 2023, 05:38 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Martin. For me it is really difficult to give a good assessment of this keris based on the photographs you have provided. First off o would like to see the blade photographed flat, not approaching from the an angle as you have, so that i can see the actual proportion of the blade elements. Also an image of the entire blade in one photograph would be helpful. Try to photograph it in better, even light so that that you can get sharper, more detailed images. Overcast skies can provide a nice even lighting for this. I don't think the blade is particularly old given the way the features (naga and greneng) have been carved, so it is strange to see the hole worn through the blade (usually this would be caused by many generations to acid washing). So i am not certain if this blade was intentionally aged or not. Better photos might answer that question.
Your hilt does appear to be old ivory and this type of hilt is from East Jawa/Madura and is called Donoriko. Yours does not seem to have been carved with a great deal of detail as some others and it has a good bit of damage. But again, better photos would be helpful.
David is offline   Reply With Quote