View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2023, 06:10 PM   #1
wildwolberine

Default Some new acquisitions

Sharing a few recent finds. These aren’t rare or remarkable but I thought I’d post them for reference.

Plamingko knife. Not old, maybe 60s-70s? Clean, unmarked tapered blade with false edge. Brass ferrule. The hilt is brownish hardwood. Pommel has deity/monster carving almost like a tenegre. The scabbard also resembles a tenegre’s, with hide near the throat and rattan wraps. Both the scabbard and hilt are heavily varnished. The blade is loose but overall it’s a nice knife. OAL 33cm, blade is 23cm by 5cm. Not chisel-ground.

Heavy bolo. Possibly WWII era? Long, thick blade with squarish tip. Faint parentheses-shaped maker marks near base. Carabao hilt with ferrous components. Extensive insect damage to horn. Tang extends through the hilt and is peened over a metallic plate. There’s tape residue or some other material on the ferrule and some of the horn. Wood scabbard with cord baldric still present. The zig-zag or lightning bolt shaped carving is interesting - I know I’ve seen this on other Philippines scabbards on the forum. OAL 57cm, blade is about 43cm by 3.5cm at base. Spine tapers from almost 1cm to 2-3mm. Not chisel-ground.

Heavy utilitarian knife with concave edge. Probably postwar vintage. Blade is marked APALIT near base. The blade is actually double concave with the widest part near the middle. Carabao hilt with brass fittings, insect damage. No sheath, it probably originally had a leather sheath. OAL 45cm, blade 31cm x 5.5cm. Not chisel-ground.

I believe these are all central Philippines items. Curious to know what local names for these might be? Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by wildwolberine; 23rd December 2023 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Changed order of paragraphs to match photo