View Single Post
Old 9th November 2023, 11:43 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I knew you'd be comin' Fernando, so I always go back and recheck to 'fine tune', even though never quite out of reach.

I guess its important to note that I am mostly interested in the historic aspects of arms, so of course I tend to find most items of some notable age 'fascinating' in one degree or another.
Also, having noted that my 'collecting and study' of weapons spans back to my youth, a most considerable number of years, it is hard to resist some degree of analogy in writing. I think it is highly typical of men my age to be unapologetic story tellers, just ask the grandkids! In positive notes on weapons being discussed, I always recall hearing of one of the most highly respected of the early collector/scholars, Sir Guy Laking, of whom it was said,
"...he would always find something kind to say about a fellow collectors object, however humble it was".
I see these weapons even in the 'militaria' class as interesting in their own right, just as are most items presented in this miscellania forum, which allows presentation outside the chronological boundaries of the others.

I suppose sort of a mantra, and that was written by Mr. Claude Blair, a kind man and brilliant scholar, who always had time to answer questions and it seems, followed in much the same manner.

It seems that 'my point' was about what inspired me to pursue the study of weapons, and while identifying them by comparitive differences, learning the history of them in thier use.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote