View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2006, 11:06 AM   #2
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven C.

I'm wondering how long could a kris get? And how is it used, some of them are really thin and wavy which makes me think of a stabber. The others are thick and straight which makes me think chopper. So whats the max length of a kris and how is it used?

Also whats the difference between a kris and keris?
there are short keris, and long ones, straight ones and wavy ones with many waves (luks - always an odd number, even is unlucky & never done).

there are the broad moro style (sundang) ones that were used for draw cuts like a katana, and could also be used for thrusts; the US Marines recorded instances where a moro actually cut a marine in two with one back in the early 20thC insurrection - it's why the army dropped their 'economic' .38 cal. pistols in favor of the .45. the moro's are muslim's and are very bellicose and independant (the bean counters issued the US with .38's again before Iraq, and again they're finding it inadequate against muslim insurectionists & alot use old .45s when they are allowed - those who forget history are forced to relive it)

the lighter indonesian ones are normally thought of as thrusting weapons, tho they have assumed more magical powers and thus can accomplish by magic what they are no longer desiring to accomplish by brute force.

the long straight ones are sometimes thought of as 'executioner' kris, as they are frequently carried by the high ranking rulers and can be used to dispense justice with a quick downward thrust behind the collarbone and down into the heart of the kneeling criminal. they all of course nowadays are not used in battle as weapons, but are artistic and magical living history.

as far as i know, keris, kris, kreese, etc. are phonetic spellings of the same basic indonesian / moro item, kris is not used alot on ebay as if it is used in a search filter it tends to bring up a zillion kris kristopherson cd's, etc.

that's just for starters, i'm just a beginner & there are many man-centuries of experienced keris affecionados here, there are so many variations in the grips, blades, scabbards, metallurgy, and history that it is an endlessly fascinating field of collection to get into. i'm sure the others here who are more knowledgeable will add to your enthusiasm.

after all, there are also rencong, badek, parangs, pedangs, gunongs, punals, talibons, klewangs, siwar, barong, kampilan and a zillion more in additon to keris, all with their own variations. like japanese weapons, they all have their own descriptive language for the variations, and this can be picked up with study and experience, you will soon be thinking in terms of mendak, pamor, etc. as you progress and add to you collection. (see this Linky ) the other links on that page will bring up a host of wonders. they don't go much into kujangs tho, like this one of mine, another fascinating style:

oh, by the way welcome aboard. you have been assimilated.

Last edited by kronckew; 2nd July 2006 at 11:49 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote