View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2023, 09:45 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I do seem to recall this intriguing anomaly, and hard to believe it was two decades ago! Do you recall any dialogue or comments in those earlier discussions?
All I can speculate is this must be some sort of perhaps naval dirk, and seems very much something one off. That it is very deliberately contrived seems clear with the crenellated style rise in crossguard perhaps recalling a vestigial shell guard.

While the downturned quillons of course resemble left hand daggers often en suite with rapiers etc. this is obviously not the case, and this does not seem to be something 'theatrical' as there is no effort to approximate same.

The deeply stamped markings seem to resemble Roman numeral '1's but not arranged in any sort of meaningful configuration, so the almost random placement suggests possibly other significance. The only place I can think of using Roman numerals are British 'Bowies' of 19th c. but typically XL etc.

I cant tell on the quillon underside if those are letters 'NWA"? or simply rocker type triangles.

The only thing distinctly recognizable are the two marks on other quillon underside which resemble the Italian twig marks found on blades in various configurations. This does not suggest this is Italian however as these sometimes occur spuriously on blades in other centers in degree.

Not much help Im afraid, but hopefully there will be others with more familiarity with knives who has seen something similar.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote