View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2023, 10:42 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Sid, I believe this concept of respect varies from person to person, my own observations tend to indicate that the general populace of both Jawa & Bali, as well as probably most collectors outside of these two places, would apply the respect concept to all keris, this being so because they are not really equipped to differentiate between a keris of the higher level, and keris made as weapons or accoutrements only.

However, in Jawa my experience & observations indicate that people with a higher level of keris knowledge will limit application of the "respect" concept to keris of a higher quality that could have been made by a master, & perhaps with attendant ceremony.

I cannot comment on the Balinese attitude. Much of old Balinese tradition in respect of the keris appears to have been lost following the puputans. Additionally I have not had a sufficient degree of close familial contact as an "insider" in Balinese society.

My personal opinion in this matter is that all keris, no matter of what quality or of what perceived background, should be treated appropriately, by "appropriately" I mean that the keris should be treated in a way that is appropriate for that particular keris. As an example, the keris that you have posted a photo of would benefit greatly by recarving the the damaged ladrangan wrongko into a Kacir form, and either attempting to reset the pendok or replacing it. In short, just tidy it up a bit.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote