View Single Post
Old 8th April 2023, 06:41 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default BINUAYA/BINUWAYA MAGUINDANAO

Hi,

Sharing a blade that is one of the center-pieces in my father's blade collection.

Called a 'binuaya/binuwaya'- it resembles the 'buaya' or the crocodile. It came from Maguindanao, Mindanao.

OAL: 26-inches/ 13-inch blade. Hilt: unknown wood with aluminum & nylon bands.

My father has two of these blades- the 2nd one, a much newer, newly-commissioned one, which has an oAL of 37.5 inches with a 18.5-inches blade. But I will share this second one of a separate post.

A short trivia(as related to my father by a Maguindanaon friend: The binuaya blade represents the three nations of the Maguindanaon Bangsamoro (see illustration-ctto).

According to my father's friend, there are 5 ranks with the corresponding blade by which they are allowed to carry/possess:

1) Binuaya - the highest of the 5-rank category. In the olden times, this
blade is 'used' exclusively to carry out sentences (presumably death) on criminals by their court;
2) kampilan - used by datus 'only'
3) kris - used by warriors
4) spear (called a 'dilek')- for war and hunting
5) panabas - lowest rank (slaves)

The forging of a binuaya (we're not sure if it includes the other Maguindanaon blades)- MUST be made by a person/s who, is in his bloodline a bladesmith by trade. If, the blade is forged by a person whose ancestor are not bladesmiths- then the person will experience malady...or worse.

Note: the binuaya blade must be represented by the 3-Maguindanaon nations. Reason: to avoid vengeance and reprisals if the executed person does not belong to the unified blade. But if the binuaya, is used, being represented by the 3-nations of Maguindanao - then there will be no vengeance or reprisals.

This is the story relayed by my father's friend.

Saludos,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote