View Single Post
Old 24th June 2006, 05:28 AM   #10
nechesh

Wayan, as has been pointeed out to you, kris from the Philippines, while related to the Indonesian keris, are quite a dfferent animal. I can assure you that in full on combat it is a far superior weapon to it's smaller stabbing cousin. Primarily a slashing and chopping weapon, it is generally razor sharp and can also stab as Mabagani points (no pun intended ) out. They are usually rather well balanced blades as well. In hand i think perhaps your thoughts on the proportions and weigh might change.
Cannonmn, it has been generally accepted that kris without a seperate gangya are usually post-1930s blades. There are, of course, exceptions to that. A 1930s blade would be cosidered antique by many, being over 70 years old. I'm still not convinced yet that yours is quite that old. The luks of the blade seem somewhat pointed, another indicator of a younger blade. Still it appears to be a well made blade, not something made for the export market. Are the bands on the sheathy aluminium?
Your gunong appears to be missing it's guard. Still a nice example. I like the inlay.