View Single Post
Old 7th January 2023, 07:42 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In interesting research I am following on this saber, I had recalled a photo of a mounted Sudanese official who had a kaskara saddle mounted in the early European manner of a 'tuck' (long straight sword situated under riders left leg). He was also wearing a side mounted sword, which I misremembered as a saber.

In fact this photo appears to be a late 19th c. image of the notorious Zebeyr Pasha, a well known slave trader, probably in Cairo c. 1887-1899. While he was from Sudan, he began his nefarious trade activity c.1856, controlling much of Chad and Congo regions bordering west Sudan. His headquarters were in Deim Zubeir in Bahr el Ghazal in that Sudanese area.

He was prominent in the period known as the TURKIYA (1821-1884) when Ottoman Egypt conquered the Funj kingdom of Sudan in 1821.

Without going into long and complex detail, basically Zebeyr Pasha (Al Zubayr Rahma Mansur, 1830-1913) was notably influenced by Ottomans via Egypt and the Khedive.

The photo shows Zubeyr Pasha with the sword at his side being apparently an Arab/Ottoman pallasche (straight blade) with the characteristic bulbous pommel hilt, worn apparently in the manner of the shorter kaskara often seen from Sudan with shoulder strap.
Attached photo of Beja warrior mounted and wearing kaskara in this manner.

In 1877 when British General Charles Gordon came to suppress slavery in these regions, he actually asked for governorship of newly conquered Darfur from the Khedive of Egypt but was denied. While not allowed to go to Sudan either he was allowed to go to Constantinople at outbreak of Russo-Turkish war.

I would note here that the 'pallashe' of Arab form he is wearing in the photo is much like examples like this I have seen with clear connection to Egypt in late 19th c. In 1887, Zubeyr returned to Cairo, where he remained until returning to Sudan in 1899.

Without enough detail as yet to speculate on my example (OP) I would suggest that perhaps this may be the context where more answers may be found. Perhaps the profound influence of the Ottomans in Egypt were partly at hand, and the Turkish influences possibly experienced in Constantinople might have prompted such a sword form for figures under his control.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote