View Single Post
Old 25th December 2022, 04:17 PM   #14
rasdan

Hi Kai,

The reason I made the above statement is because in current times sometimes people can be too obsessed with origin of things and too often does not even look at more important things such as quality. In the past, it seems to me that even royals does not seem to mind too much about local styling. They seemingly were more concerned about quality. And quality, in some sense and to some extent, can be quite objective. Yes, we can certainly argue more, but I am just stating a simple observation, not trying to prove anything academically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
Hello Rasdan,

I'd quibble with some details (i.e. some of the shown scabbards clearly exhibit local styles). However, the same root/origin is certainly quite visible with these examples.
Yes, I agree. The keris started as one thing in one location and later the belief, style etc. spread and evolved. The sheath style in question probably started its life in West Java (or anywhere else; it does not matter) and people in the archipelago seems to absorb the style - no problemo. If the people at that time really cared about their own tribal identity, like what is happening in our current time, I don't think the styles will spread out much. With that attitude, there is no way a Bugis king would wear a Cirebon style sheath. But that didn't happen.

Quote:
This seems more of a thing with the Malay coastal cultures with local ports receiving lots of trade as well as (cross-)cultural influence from constantly migrating populations (including longer-distance expats like Bugis, Peranakan, etc.).
Yes. (see below)

Quote:
This also needs very close study: Some of these blades appear to be locally forged: While their overall appearance may seem Javanese on first sight, a real blade would need to be attributable to a specific culture and period. Mind you, gifts were also bestowed between the more important rulers and blades from Tanah Jawa (or Sunda) certainly show up in heirloom collections of local regents (as well as huge amounts of trade blades filtering through the archipelago).
The keris started its life in Java and Java has been the forefront of keris knowhow and development. Thus Java was on the "giving end" and other places was on the "receiving end". Even if the blade was made locally in Sumatra for example, the technology and styling is very much likely from Java. Even in the 19th century, Palembang keris to a certain extent were made to Javanese specifications. I don't think there is any way that we can say the the blades above are not at least Javanese style. But the non-Javanese royals at that time does not seem to mind. They don't go for a fat penghulu blade.

Nowadays Madura is at the forefront. I will not be surprised if in the future, newer keris styles (for keris cultures that are still evolving) will be decided in Madura.

Quote:
The rulers were free to go for exotic/foreign toys.

However, keep in mind that - with some local nuances - blending in with the own community was the central goal of any mere mortals. While there certainly was some place and even the clear expectation to exhibit your status, sticking out or even over-representing your social standing was generally shunned and pretty much considered heresy! Apparently, there was a bit more leeway in the trading ports, especially when their economical importance started to challenge existing overlordships.

Regards,
Kai
Yes, for normal people they need to blend in. But keris is first and foremost a royal culture. They are the ones that matter most when keris are concerned IMHO. All the localized styling I think are very new. And it evolved in the fringes of society. Not at the centre where it matters the most.

Last edited by rasdan; 26th December 2022 at 10:46 AM.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote