Thread: Shamshir hilts
View Single Post
Old 15th March 2022, 06:08 PM   #3
dakary

Thanks for that Ariel.

If I understand you, even though there is a huge variety in shamshir hilts (across many different groups), there is relative stasis within that variety? Because, as you say, this is complex, let me simplify with an example: would it be, just going on the hilt design, impossible to tell the difference, for example, between a 15th century Turkish hilt and a 19th century hilt?

If that's the case, I find that absolutely fascinating. If you look, for a contrasting example, at a 15th century German longsword, not only do you not find the same construction in the 19th century, but you don't even find longswords!

Perhaps this stasis shows an excellent and versatile design or at least not much change in the martial context shamshirs existed in. Certainly, in evolutionary terms, when you find stasis in the fossil record for a long time, this indicates that the creature was adaptable and versatile or that their environment also saw stasis (otherwise it would go extinct!). I think we might say the same thing about swords (they better be up for the task or they will disappear - this was certainly the case with German swords - the environment changed and so did the swords).

You'd think, however, that even if the martial context didn't drive change, fashion would driven have. Yet there is stasis. Maybe this is accounted for by a deep reverence for tradition?

I hope I'm not misunderstanding (if I am, please let me know!).
dakary is offline   Reply With Quote