View Single Post
Old 18th February 2022, 12:21 PM   #12
naturalist

Some say; golok/bedog cepot (cepot is one of characters in punakawan) or bedog petok..
Mainly for splitting things (wood, coconut fronds), i love to use it to open young coconut fruit, very handy to do this job with this type of bedog.
I do have one, not fancy but very well made.
I am pretty sure, it won't handy for cutting rattan.
I am not a rattan farmer or collecting rattan from the forest.
I do have years of experience living in the forest (used to be a biologist, posted in a research station in the middle of the forest for years, and did lots of surveys), i saw that people in some areas prefer tools that have hooks similar to bill hook (to get a rid the leaves and thorn) to look for rattan or just simply a golok (ordinary Tjibatu or Bantenese type of golok). But again rattan has hundreds of species, many are less than 1 cm for its diameter, lots have more than 3cmm in diameter (this one, you should cut the tree before harvesting the rattan, ax or chainsaw may needed). Just back from Central Kalimantan (Borneo) two weeks ago, where so many rattan plantations. Saw a very "weird" knife that used to cut rattan (i could send it to someone's email in here to be posted), just like a blacksmith knife but it has an elongated handle (no scale at all) and has no tip (square like a leather knife that uses in Japan/Korea).

Last edited by naturalist; 18th February 2022 at 12:35 PM.
naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote