View Single Post
Old 6th September 2021, 11:21 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

I wouldn't say that lawe is more or less complex than banyu, they are both complex, manipulated patterns.

What I would say is that there are variations in both patterns, and variations in opinions as to the names of both patterns, as with most things to do with keris, nothing is carved in stone.

Yes, Jean, that blade that Anthony showed us is recent in my opinion also.

YS, unthuk banyu is not a mlumah pamor, when I used the word "mlumah" I was referring to orientation, not to the finished pamor.

Edit

I just reread what I wrote when I used "mlumah", I'm sorry, I was thinking Javanese when I wrote it. The word "mlumah"means to lay on the back with the front, or surface facing up or outwards, so if you take a strip of pamor and bend it back & forth, then you lay it on the blade core in such a way that the back of the pamor is against the blade core, and the surface that will be seen is facing the front, or the outside of the completed blade, then that strip of pamor has been laid "mlumah". This does not mean that it has been laid in a way that will create a mlumah pamor. The base word is "lumah" which means "surface, upper side".

Something else too, I gave this pamor of Anthony's as "Lawe Setukal", that is my opinion based upon the way it has been made and what I have been taught. However, a lot of what I knew to be so back 30, 40, 50 years ago is now not so, names have changed, ways of looking at and thinking about things have changed. I use different names for things depending upon the audience. If I were giving a name for a dhapur or pamor in something I wrote for publication, or, say, a catalogue, I would strive to find the most generally accepted opinion before I went into print, rather than just give my own opinion as I usually do in a Forum post.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 7th September 2021 at 01:58 AM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote