View Single Post
Old 25th July 2021, 03:05 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi drac,

Interesting knife. I agree the knife looks Filipino, most likely from Central Luzon. Is the tang visible at the end of the hilt? The scabbard is atypical for local manufacture. Pictures of both sides of the scabbard would help with further ID.

The likely area of manufacture is close to the site of the U.S. Clark AFB which was active during and after WWII, as well as the nearby U.S. Naval Base at Subic Bay. Post WWII there were a lot of troop movements through Clark, especially during the Vietnam War. Local knives were common purchases for U.S. military personnel in the area, including GIs during the Vietnam era. I suspect your knife is probably one of those.

The knife is of a general pattern produced in the province of Pampanga, and more specifically in the town of Apalit about 20 miles form Clark AFB. This area is responsible for many knives that found their way back to the U.S. with returning servicemen.

That's my best guess at this point. Further pics of the knife and scabbard would help.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote