View Single Post
Old 26th June 2021, 10:53 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you very much Peter for the kind words.
I felt pretty strongly about this being a British M1796 blade, and after many years of study and handling of them, I have learned of the considerable cases of variation due to at first, the fact that the blade making industry was in its first stages. This led invariably to cases of somewhat subtle variation, then as the form continued (as I mentioned in India mostly) well through the 19th c. of course even more variation was present but basically the same type fuller.

I know of your extensive background in Japan, so I would not presume to advance too heavily into the dynamics of the 19th c. and the westernization of the country in the late Edo period into the Meiji.
In what led to the Satsuma Rebellion, and the abolishing of the Samurai, thus presenting the opportunity for all men to wear a sword (as you suggest), this may well be an example of an ersatz weapon made from a repurposed British blade.

Other earlier contact with the west had produced the western fascination with Oriental styling and motif. This became prevalent in early to mid 18th century smallswords and court swords with Chinese motif known as Tonquinese and Chinoiserie. Mostly this of course had to do with the Dutch and English East India Companies in Peking and Tonkin (Vietnam), however though technically closed, there was activity into Japan.
The styling on this scabbard reminds me of some of the motif on these earlier swords decorated in Europe in this manner.

While obviously this sword does not reflect the high artistry of the long tradition of Japanese sword makers, it does suggest someone desiring a sword in the known manner put together with the methods of that work notably imitated.
Certainly this seems to plausibly be a British blade which has come into the Japanese sphere in the third quarter of 19thc.to turn of century during these times of change, and well worthy of publication.

All very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote