View Single Post
Old 5th June 2021, 01:13 PM   #14
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post

I am not quite clear on what this means. ...."Rezin passed his knife on to Jim after THIS has been previously wounded in a way that was no longer able to handle firearms". What was wounded? who was not able to handle firearms? ...

Sorry i was not clear enough, Jim; perhaps due to language differences ... As per (my) posted sentence order, that (previous) would be Rezin and this (late) is Jim.
Whether or not a speculation, as any other, you may read it here:

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bowie

In a rough translation:

The Bowie Knife Legend began in 1826, when Bowie survived a duel against Sheriff Norris Wright. He was injured and found it difficult to use pistols. To help his brother, Rezin gave Jim the famous knife, which he began carrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
... True, the original Bowie knife must have been substantial, but not as elaborate and huge as the examples created and fashioned later as noted by Rezin Bowie. However, in the hands of a skilled knife fighter it would seem enormous.
In my assessment, i was not referring to the visual impact of a determined knife in the hands of a dangerous handler, but to its actual dimensions; my Mudela najava, as many, has a rather larger blade.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote