View Single Post
Old 29th May 2006, 02:01 AM   #25
zelbone

Default Nothing is ever transparent...

Hello Ian,

What I have said in the past (such as in that old thread that you quoted) is still quite true. However, that was 3 years ago. And since then, much has been learned. I've handled hundreds of Visayan swords, I've traveled to the Visayas, I've sought old pandays (both woodcarvers and smiths), and searched for real swordsmen. It wasn't an easy journey and the dialect differences made it even more so. Every questioned answered brought more questions. And as an "outsider," I was dealt with great suspicion. I've been threatened, challenged to test my sword skills, and tested for my knowledge so far. Though I've gained a wealth of knowledge, there are still questions that need to be answered...more so esoteric than general.

If I seem "cryptic" or hesitant to post any further information or updates, I have my reasons. For one thing, the Visayas is a broad region with different dialects. Two words can mean the same thing....and one word can mean several things. And another thing is that I don't want to be quoted like Cato having everything I say assumed as the definate answer. Anyone who's really studied the Visayan sword (or Moro swords for that reason) knows that there are no definate answers. Furthermore, the information I've learned could be quite esoteric and confusing for those that want definate answers. Ask anyone that came to our recent gathering....like Mabagani or Spunger...and they'll tell you that they learned quite a bit, but left even more confused. I'm still trying to piece together the jigsaw puzzle. And some of that information I received IS priviledged information sworn to secrecy to those that gave it to me. It would be dishonorable for me to post that information on a public forum. I hope you can understand.

....sometimes "it's a sundang" is the best and safest answer.
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote