View Single Post
Old 13th May 2006, 03:32 AM   #16
doecon

Just a few notes regarding some above;

No positive ID given, just guesswork here from my site. Its obvious that an ID would require more info/better pics. As mentioned I have no idea how the ferule is forged, no pics no info.

Neshech;
I noticed you mentioned that "warangan" isn't for protection; actually both the "acid" bath and the final oil ritual are in some way. Acid bathing stops or limits the oxidation. just for the record

Naga;
I was under the impression that your Radio Shack was used to replace the arsenic substance (I had no idea you ment the acid). For the acid itself you can use lime. (locally they use the small green ones). This acid is used in the first step, as in cleaning your tombak. Once fully done (might take days) you will have a nice "white" tombak..then you start "staining" . Just google "warangan", you find some pretty good descriptions of the process in the first hits.

I'll try to dig up some uncleaned (old) blades as "practising material" and will post them for you in the swap forum if needed. But please keep in mind that some of us (including myself) have some kind of respect for these sharp old things, so please do handle your blades likewise.
doecon is offline   Reply With Quote