View Single Post
Old 26th August 2019, 09:04 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

This is a Javanese pedhang. The word "pedhang" means "sword".

Some people would classify this as a "pedhang sabet", but this is wrong, because both "pedhang" and "sabet" have exactly the same meaning, pedhang is low level (ngoko), sabet is high level (krama inggil).

It is actually a little bit to short for a standard pedhang, and again, some would want to classify as "pedhang luwuk" because of its short length, I would not classify as this because the profile does not fit.

The name "pedhang" is enough.This type, usually a bit longer, is perhaps the most common type of Javanese sword.

Ideally this blade would be cleaned and stained, but this is not a simple job because you need arsenic to do it, the people who do this in Indonesia have taken years to learn how to do it properly, and to go through the learning process for one sword blade seems a bit unnecessary to me.

In any case, the stain it has at the moment is not too bad.

I'd be inclined to drench it daily for a week or so with WD40, or soak in WD40 for a week or so, then wash thoroughly with a toothbrush and dishwash liquid under warm running water, dry thoroughly with a lint free cloth and a hairdryer, spray again with WD40, let it dry off overnight and then apply protective oil.

This protective oil would be scented in Jawa, but in the West, many people prefer a good quality gun oil.

To protect against future deterioration it should be stored in a plastic sleeve when wet with the oil. If you keep ferric material in contact with cellulose material, it will eventually rust.

The dress is recent, it is in poor condition and in Jawa this would be given a complete recondition.

Incidentally, I would most gently suggest that the fault for damage in transit to this pedhang should not be placed at the feet of the carrier, but
that the person who packed it for carriage perhaps did not really have a very good idea of the type of packing that is necessary to get a fragile item from one country to another without damage.

In my experience, which in this respect is considerable, it is very rare for anything that is sent from Indonesia to be adequately packed.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 26th August 2019 at 09:23 AM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote