View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:51 PM   #5
motan

Hi Kubur,
Thanks for responding. I am aware that I am niche collector, but it is still nice to have feedback. I have actually come to like this dagger and I am happy to have it.
As for the age and location of shibriya production, I have different thoughts. Daggers with dates are not common and therefore, it is difficult to determine age with any certainty. However, based on old pictures and the succession of development, I doubt if many shibriyas were produced in the 19th century. As for the place of production, I know that the large majority were produced in Jordan because there aren't that many workshops and I recognize their style. I can also recognize Palestinian ones and Sinai style. However, very few can be attributed to Syrian if you dismiss Damascus bazaar pieces (recognized by cast brass parts). This is strange considering that more Bedouin/Bedu live in Syria than in all these countries + North Africa and Iraq together. I have some thoughts about that, but this would become a long post..
motan is offline   Reply With Quote