Thread: Amanremu
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2018, 08:04 PM   #1
Roland_M

Default Amanremu

Hi all,

this is my new old Amanremu, received from a good friend of mine. I`m very thankful to him.
A rare variant of a rare blade, with a beautiful silver decorated hilt and a huge hair tuft from a horse.
The whole sword is 66cm (26") long, blade 52 cm (20,5"), the massive base is a little more than 12 mm (0,5") wide, it weighs 740 grams.

The blade is very interesting, it is almost flawlessly forged, just some layers are visible close to the hilt, the rest looks almost like monosteel. It is probably very fine laminated, but it is to early for me to say something for sure.

But what I can say 100% sure is that the blade saw a sophisticated tempering. It has two more or less parallel temperlines over eachother. The lower one is always stronger.
Afaik it is forgotten how this hardening process was made. I added a picture of the Amanremu together with a Pala sword and the hardening process was definitely very similar. Both blades got a double Hamon and even the shape is similar.
This tempering process is far more developed than the famous Japanese hamon!
I dont know why they put so much effort in the tempering, maybe with a multi stage tempering the blade got less tensions and a lower risk for hardening cracks or whatever.

The great question is now who was the teacher of this technique? I think either the Ottomans or the Indonesians. I have three more of this special hardened "multihamon" blades, a Mandau, an outstanding Pedang and a breathtaking Golok, all of them are top level swords.

Some comments on this sword would be nice.

Best wishes,
Roland
Attached Images

Last edited by Roland_M; 21st May 2018 at 08:17 PM.
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote