View Single Post
Old 24th November 2017, 03:00 PM   #20
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,383

Originally Posted by Philip
Rick, I think that connector piece can be termed a frizzen bridle since it provides a two-point support (in conjunction with the lockplate itself) for the pivot screw. It's analogous to the tumbler bridle on the mature French flintlock, and the cock bridle on a miquelet.

You might be interested in the article "The Snaphaunce Muskets of al-Maghreb al-Aqsa" by James Gooding, in ARMS COLLECTING, Vol. 34, No. 3. A very informative intro to the long guns of Morocco. The frizzen bridle is seen on all of the examples illustrated and I'm sure you may have detached locks from Moroccan guns in your collection which feature this component as well. Interesting also are the presence of the cock buffer and the large disc that caps the extremity of the priming-pan on these locks, just as seen on your repro English doglock from TRS. All these on a Moroccan lock strongly point to a Dutch antecedent (see Robert Held, THE AGE OF FIREARMS, fig 149, p 71 for photo of a snaphaunce 1590-1630 which is all but identical in form to the later north African version). Considering that arms development in England and the Netherlands was closely linked, it's not surprising to see similar features common to the (much later) dog-lock as well.

Hi Philip.

"Bridle" That's the word I was searching my memory for. LOL Getting old I guess. If I recall, that bridle was used on French infantry muskets till it was discontinued in about 1735-40 I believe.

Yes, I have that article from James Gooding. I ordered it a few years ago from the Canadian Arms Journal. Strangely, it took almost a year for it to arrive. But agreed, it is probably the best intro to the Moroccan snaphaunce longarms I've seen. They basically operate the same as the original, early snaphaunce locks. The difference being the much more narrow lockplates on the Moroccan guns to accomodate the slim stocks. The hammers (cocks) followed either the Dutch or English style.

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote