View Single Post
Old 6th August 2017, 08:13 AM   #80
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo G
It is a pity that the historical evidence does not support this complicated hypothesis (better call it assumption). Swords with cuphilts, laces, circular knuckleguards, protective rings, etc., were carried by a baldric on horse, without problem. See the way in wich the Spaniards carried their rapiers: they used baldrics, and the swords can be accomodated by the lenght of the baldric. I think that the form of the knuckleguard of the Moroccan Nimcha was a matter of fashion, though I admit that the rounded knuckleguard allows for a more easy grasp.

Although the clear historical evidence has somehow escaped your attention it is well documented that the Sword of the Prophet was carried in this manner. I do not speak of cuphilts in this discussion... but of the Moroccan Nimcha (an Islamic creation)with a distinct lineage via the Berber situation of Zinette back through the centuries to the 7th.

I didn't mention anything about the rounded Zanzibari knuckle-guard being an easier grasp in fact I note the difference since the broad neck strap seen at #75 above pulls the Moroccan sword higher so that it lodges firmly at the left rib-cage area held more steady by the squared off knuckleguard base, broad flat horse-head pommel, and quilons.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 6th August 2017 at 03:46 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote