View Single Post
Old 5th March 2006, 01:44 AM   #22
BluErf

I think as collectors of blades, we are a bit safer than collectors of 'curios'. At least there is an established base of collectors, researchers, literature and not forgetting museum exhibits.

The blades are part of a people's history and culture, and sometimes national pride. So unless a people is completely obliterated, there will always be someone who is interested in his roots and past and will collect these blades. And furthermore, there will always be the 'non-native' collectors here and there. Sometimes, the government recognizes the significance of these blades and passes policies that facilitate the survival of the blade arts (the Japanese comes to mind as an example).

Btw, I'm 27. I started collecting kerises when I was 22. Does that make me part of the current generation obsessed with mp3 players with gigabytes of songs that they didn't know they had? Well, ok, I could be the oddball amongst my more 'modern' peers, but I think there are new young collectors being born every day.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote