View Single Post
Old 25th February 2006, 11:48 PM   #14
Antonio Cejunior

Default SPECIFIC PACKAGING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
antonio

as per your instructions, i did forward my dilemma to rick. i will explain again what i'm facing here:

1)RZ6 (tenegre) and RZ7 (visayan bolo) are the only swords that will fit on a 4 inch diameter tube. these tubes (cardboard or PVC) can be purchased at our local hardware, so that's no problem.

2)RZ4 (barung) has a 5 inch wide scabbard appendage. since tubes are available in even numbers only, i have to place it in a 6 inch tube. now this is getting kinda hairy since i can't find a cardboard tube at this size, and i have to go with PVC tubes, which if should i purchase it, i have to buy a minimum of 10 feet. kinda overkill especially i only needed 26 inches.

3)RZ3 (kampilan) and RZ5 (panabas) posed the biggest problem. with the kampilan, i need an 8 inch diameter tube due to the staple and hair. as for the panabas, i also need an 8 inch diameter tube, due to the way it's shaped. understand, antonio, that i live in a small town. i don't have the same access if i was living in a city. so with that in mind, i found one place that carries an 8 inch diameter tube (PVC). here's the deal on that. the minimum footage that i can get from this store is twenty feet. fine. if i get twenty feet, i might as well place each sword on an 8 inch diameter pipe. now i'm gonna need 12 caps for it to cover the pipe. so here's the quote that i got from the store:

8 inch diameter pvc pipe = $7.15/ft @ 20 ft = $143.00
end caps =$43.18 @ 12 pcs = $518.16
( i told rick that i was going to use a screw cap but that would run me around $900.00)

so i'm looking at around $700.00 for packaging. i really don't think you want that.

as for the ADS pipe pictured above, i wasn't able to contact the stores in columbus since they are close on the weekends.

i understand that, antonio, that's why i called fedex and gave them the dimension of the box that i previously mentioned (50x10x10). the gentleman on the other side told me that there's no problem whatsoever. now, i don't know the intricacies of shipping internationally since this is the very first time that i'm doing this. it might seem like this a very simple problem top you, but what i'm trying to do here is understand what's going on, and utilizing what i have on hand. i have no clue whatsoever that fedex is sponsoring this and that, or it has a prerequisite weight per package.

the bottom line is, these are my option so far, and i am trying my best to come up with something. i really thought that the box was a good idea, since it will be packed together, therefore cheaper, but according to your explanation, i would guess not.

regards

ron
Hi Ron

Read with interest and respect.
Sometimes tube is not the best solution, and we have to be creative.

During this period of work in another computer, I thought about your post and
mainly we have find solutions. Here's one that I submit to your consideration:

I'm sure you know this cardboard stuff. Should be quite affordable.

Now your problem is width. So here is how I would deal with it:

Choose a thicker cardboard and fold it like this, or you may want to fold a double width thickness (like a book) to accomodate thickness. Now slide the sword and close the three sides with tape. Is that strong enough? I would say it protects.

Now stack four or six swords with the same size, independently packed, one handle one side an the next one the handle on the other side and so forth.

Next tape the stack strongly. Its is simple, very affordable, matches the type of problem you have and stacked, it gains a very big solidity.

Same old story. Break one arrow is easy. Put a bundle and try to break it and you can't.

Hope this solution is to your satisfaction I am just reccomending, saying that this is what I myself would do.

Best regards