View Single Post
Old 10th December 2016, 06:00 PM   #8
Lee
EAAF Staff

Arrow Musings

The statement at the bottom of every page is there for two reasons:
First, to acknowledge the current state of copyright law in much of the world that even without a proper notice something is copyrighted when created. Some forums will claim ownership of what is posted, no such claim has ever been made here, except...
Second, we do claim a license for the continued display of the materials in the narrow context of these forums. This is intended to increase archival stability of our collected works here (in the same manner as the images as attachments policy). Several times a year I will receive demands that threads be removed because "the buyer of the item has demanded this" - that statement allows the Moderator Team to deny those requests.

Commercial use:
There is really nothing practical we can do about someone unassociated with the forums placing a link to a discussion from an online auction beyond reporting them to the auction site for a policy violation. You can link to just about anything you want - that is what the 'web' is about. If you find a member here doing that, report it to the Moderator Team - it is a offense that one may be banned for.
Noncommercial use: This is not restricted. Example: I have been engaged in selling Lew's collection on behalf of his family. As I catalog the collection, I will often find where he presented the item in these forums. I do not place that link on the auction site or the description pages of items for sale - I too respect and fear the Moderator Team. Once the item has been sold, I move the page to the archive and will then add those links to what my research found.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote