View Single Post
Old 10th September 2016, 07:28 PM   #8
Jerseyman

Thanks all for the input.

Regarding the blade there isn't actually any rust at all. What you're seeing is an artefact of the light and the camera. Those areas of black are only the very faintest shadows of former corrosion - barely visible to the eye, but for some reason glaringly obvious in the photos. The blade is so polished I can see my reflection in it - it's actually much cleaner than I like my blades. My personal preference is to see the patination the material has built up over time - although clean of course.

Explain to me why you would etch the blade? If you look at the eighth picture you should be able to see that the lamination is very prominent. If you run your fingernail across the blade it feels like a ploughed field. To the fingertip the blade feels ridged all the way down. Would etching make the lamination visually clearer? Again I have to say it's actually very obvious to the eye - perhaps not coming across in the photos.

Can anyone clarify for me the use of the term pamor? Only used when two or more types of metal are mixed? Only used for Malaysian blades?

All thoughts welcomed.
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote