Thread: Medieval Sword
View Single Post
Old 20th July 2016, 03:28 AM   #7
Reventlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croccifixio
I also read a recent discussion about fakes from eastern europe from a few reknowned sword makers (Peter Johnsson in particular gave his input)... ... This one, however, doesn't have the usual indications. Except for the pommel engraving, which I've seen on what some would say a clear fake. If this is not authentic, then it seems very well made. The proportions are correct for the period albeit a bit more pointed than usual. The flare at the blade shoulder is a nuance seen in really good historical finds.
I've seen the same or similar discussions so I think we are more or less on the same page on that front. The point about the flare on the blade is a good one. Can you share any photos of the possibly fake engraving that you have seen, for the sake of comparison?

I am also very curious to see more of the inscription; what I think I can see in these photos also leave me with some misgivings. The letters appear to be the larger, earlier style that would have been iron-inlaid, as opposed to later, finer inlays in silver/latten/etc. This early method of inlay seems a little odd combined with the "pointy" blade shape that you mention. It looks like the tip of the blade may even have a diamond cross-section, generally a later feature, though commonly appearing in lower quality modern reproductions of early swords.

As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be any inlay left in the letters... Peter Johnsson has mentioned this as a potential red flag for possibly faked inscriptions.

The inscription seems to start with a circular medallion-like ornament, with a raised shape/character in the middle. Overall, it seems quite similar to the ornaments on the pommel. I have notes, photos, and diagrams of hundreds of inscriptions and have never seen an ornament inlaid in this way. So... I just have misgivings.

If you could, please send me the link to the auction as a PM... I think that is within the rules!
Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote