View Single Post
Old 6th June 2016, 12:09 PM   #24
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabant1701
Indeed interesting find. The shaft on this one is also very similar to other types of axes in this thread. French manufacture could support the World Fair theory.

Another possibility is that the axe heads where made in India exported to europe to be assembled with shafts there.
I agree that these could have been specifically made for an expo etc and imported. These axe heads are still being made in India. My specific question is the type you posted and the one I own and the one from armsandantiques, they are radically different in their construction, first there is no terminal head, the axe is solid and flat at the top, second there is no counter balance / hammer at the opposite end of the blade, in fact there is no overhang at all compared to other types.

This type is completely different that any Indian or Persian axe / tabar that I know of with this head type, all others as far as I know have a hole that goes all the way through the head, they also have a counter balance / hammer with a V shaped groove cut into the counter balance / hammer.

I have posted an image with red arrows showing the areas that suggest that this type in particular are a completely different type and only appear to be Indo-Persian. Below are two Indian axe, the red arrows show the typical terminal head at the top and the counter balance / hammer with the V groove cut out.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote