View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2016, 06:47 AM   #12
arsendaday

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Jim, my mistake in not checking what I wrote before posting, it should have read "I see no reason why this would NOT be a shashka". This sword comes at a good time as I have been searching for shashka with Ottoman scabbards and Harry comes up with an Ottoman fitted shashka sword. While thousands of Circassians ended up in the Ottoman empire and kept using shashka,I have not found many examples of shashka scabbards with an Ottoman influence and Harrys shashka is the first sword I have seen with an Ottoman influence.

Here is an example of a shashka with Ottoman type mounts.
Nice photos Estcrh! While they may not be a lot of Ottoman Shashkas surviving today, they were actually being made in Ottoman Turkey at some point. And considering the fame and usefullnes of shashkas it is no surprise that Ottomans were considering them for their own use. (As Russians did, and eventually ended up replacing all their bladed weapons with modified shashkas) So I think your examples and this sword also are the result of those experiments. But for some reason or another (the main one being the German military influence) the Ottoman army started using the Western European sword types instead.
arsendaday is offline   Reply With Quote