View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2004, 12:02 AM   #1
LabanTayo

Default Visayan Weapons Study

Hello Forum Members.
Zelbone and I would like to do a study of Visayan Weapons to try and figure out if there is any kind of pattern in the design of the hilt and blades, and try to provenance them by any similarities. Of course, pieces that are already provenanced will greatly help in this study. Deity, Animorphic, and Knob Hilts are all important in the Panay/Negros Swords.
With the Talibon, we would only like to study the Pulahan (Garab)type. If you have Cebuano Swords, please list the Names that you know them by when you send the pics. Because of dialectual differences in the Visayas, all the different names of each sword will be helpful. Any history that you have for your sword, or whatever Filipino Martial Art that uses your particular type of sword, would also be helpful.
What we would like to request from Forum members, is if you could supply digital pictures of your pieces. The optimal picture(s) would be an overall pic of the sword outside of the scabbard, plus close-ups of the hilt and its details. Even if you don’t know if its Visayan, send pics anyway.
The categories so far, will be as follows:

PANAY:
Tenegre
Binangon

NEGROS:
Tenegre
Itak

SAMAR / LEYTE:
Talibon (Pulahan - Garab type only)
Waray Sansibar

CEBUANO:
Ginungting
Sansibar

I’m sure more categories and sub-categories will arise as we get into it.

We will be taking a trip to the Philippines next year and will be in the Visayas area for a few weeks. Hopefully with a good outline of theories, we will get all the answers we need in the P.I.

Please email the pics to us directly. No need to post them in this thread.
kombatankc@yahoo.com
zel@kc.rr.com

Pic of Tenegres and Binangons:

Pic of Pulahan Talibon (Garab):

I’ll add more pics later.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Please refer to the prior thread for more details.
http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002689.html
LabanTayo is offline   Reply With Quote