View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:46 AM   #8
S.Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunky1
S.Workman, I have a wealth of info to study now. Thanks so much!

I inspected the point closely and each blade has a number of very small wear marks that travel down the blades from front to back (parallel to the haft). I'm not sure of the origin but they definitely appear hand made. These are not present on the shank. The result of hand sharpening the blades?

Can you comment on patina? I have heard that truly old bronze should be brown more than green. Is that true? At what age should we expect to see this? I assume actual metal content and storage over the years can greatly affect patina?

Best,
Casey
It has probably been in a collection, or collections, for a long time. When that occurs (common in Europe) adventurous people sometimes try to clean them with files, steel wool, whatever. That will leave that kind of mark. The patina looks like it might be legit, but its hard saying. There are many circumstances that will lead to a green patina, one of them is immersion then draining. The wet bronze oxidizes in the air, so in Mycenaean Greece for instance there are greenish bronzes.This is because despite the dry climate, when it rains, it floods tombs or shaft graves which stay sodden then dry over time. Its the constant change it atmosphere that changes the bronzes green.
I am no expert, but I am encouraged by the slightly flattened profile of the socket, and the transverse thickening there. If its the work of a forger, he knows his business.
S.Workman is offline   Reply With Quote